Relieve Jaw Pain & Headaches with TMJ Treatment in Ballwin and St. Louis, MO
Under normal circumstances, you don’t even think about your temporomandibular joints (TMJs), which connect your jaw to your skull. That changes if you have a TMJ disorder, a condition in which the joints become inflamed. With nagging jaw pain and other symptoms, your TMJ becomes all you can think about. Find relief with TMJ treatment in Ballwin and St. Louis, MO.
Our dentists will treat you with an oral appliance or similar device that will:
- Relieve pressure on your joints so they can heal
- Eliminate headaches and other unpleasant TMJ symptoms
- Protect you from the destructive effects of teeth grinding, a habit often linked to TMJ disorders
- Make it possible for you to use your jaw without pain for activities like eating
- Prevent pain from spreading from your jaw to other areas of your body
Find the Right Treatment for Your TMJ Disorder
Many dentists suggest a custom-made oral appliance to relieve TMJ pain. We certainly do, as many of our patients find relief with one. However, we find it can also be helpful to correct a misaligned bite with orthodontics since bite problems can worsen TMJ disorders. Many TMJ patients also suffer from sleep apnea. If that’s true in your case, we’ll treat your sleep apnea symptoms with an oral appliance that helps you breathe easily during the night.
We can relieve headaches, whether or not they are related to a TMJ disorder, with a device called the NTI. The first non-drug method approved by the FDA for treating migraines, many people find it easier to wear than other mouthguards because it covers your front teeth only.
See Us If You Have TMJ Symptoms
A painful jaw is a common TMJ symptom, but it’s not the only one. You may also experience:
- Facial tenderness, especially around your jaw
- Difficulty opening and closing your jaw
- Unexplained earaches
- Frequent headaches
- Tension and/or pain in your neck and shoulders
If you have jaw pain that won’t go away, visit The DentaLink to see if TMJ treatment will help. Call us at (636) 496 8584 (Ballwin office) or (314) 334-1474 (St. Louis office) to schedule an appointment.